Soccer Practice

Soccer Practice

Monday, July 27, 2009

Quilting USA


I've been busy. The boys still sleep in cribs, but when they move into twin sized beds, I wanted them to have something special from me. Since I didn't make them anything before they were born, I wanted them to have something meaningful to take to their new beds. They have beautiful baby blankets from so many friends who lovingly made them before they were born. Josh's mom hand quilted them each their own baby blanket (she does one for each grandchild). Each night when I tuck them in, I put Grandma's quilt on them and say it's full of her love and so they're all snuggled up in her love. When they move into their new beds, they can still snuggle in Grandma's love, but my love will be there too in these quilts.

I have never quilted before. That's why these are made up of squares and not some complicated design. I did make up the patterns myself on Excel and planned out how much fabric I would need of each color using an equation I came up with. It kind of hurt my brain a little, but my algebra teacher, and my mother, should be proud.

I'm thinking of turning them into duvet covers instead of actually binding and quilting them together. I hope it turns out alright. That will require I learn how to do button holes. They're made of mostly the same fabrics, but in two different designs so if they're in the same room they'll match, but still be unique, just like them.

The boys have been good sports while I've been cutting and sewing. I've been sneaking it in during Sesame Street and after they're in bed at night. Once I put on "Anne of G*reen Gables" and they watched some of it while I sewed. Michael even began pretending he was Gilbert Blithe.

Once I have side borders and backs sewn on, I'll need a new project, maybe I'll try parenting!

7 comments:

JoMamma said...

I love the designs. Very cute to have them match, but be different. Good luck on the button holes.

ashley said...

great job! and no, just keep quilting, it is much much easier than parenting!

Amy Lynn said...

I am absolutely stunned! They are amazing and beautiful! I've dreamed of quilting for years...I even own a drawer full of fabulous quilt patterns...but I've never had the guts to try. Maybe it is the math thing...

Your boys will treasure those forever! Lucky boys.

Juliet said...

I'm very impressed Kristina!

AM said...

Your quilts look great...especially impressive that you made your own patterns!

Alison

Becks said...

Wow, I'm impressed! It's so tricky finding time to do projects when you have little ones, especially two of them! I love your designs. The boys will love their quilts!

Leese said...

wow - you ARE amazing! designing and creating...beautiful! i can barely keep my house clean with my kids home! i'm very impressed!