Soccer Practice

Soccer Practice

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Day of School

 Despite the feeling that this summer and morning sickness would never end, they both have, for the most part.  The kids have grown so much - ready for church below.  

We've spent the summer surviving.  I made breakfast, clean it up, and rest on the couch.  I make lunch, clean it up, put Anna down for a nap and take a nap myself while the boys watch copious amounts of T.V. and I feel very guilty, until I fall asleep.  They've spent untold amounts of time in their pajamas and loved every minute of it. 


But, today was the first day of kindergarten!  Michael and Sam have been so excited for this day.  We bought their backpacks a couple of weeks ago and they've been asking daily "how many more days until kindergarten?"  Before school got out in May we took a trip up to visit the kindergarten classrooms and observe a couple of classes for a while.  Sam didn't want to go home.  He is so social.  Michael can't wait to learn and was disappointed they didn't do any real learning today on the first day.  

We woke up an hour an forty-five minutes earlier than we have been to get them up there on time.  They start so early!  Sam was the first one awake, though, and had made his bed, brushed his teeth, and gotten dressed before anyone else was awake.  I had to go lie down next to Michael and help him wake up.  He will have to kick the habit of staying awake at night pondering the mysteries of the universe and go to sleep early.

 
 
We all drove up to the school today and walked the boys into their classroom with the hordes of other students.   I hope we'll eventually be able to just drop them off at the curb, especially when it starts raining this fall and I get huge and then have a newborn. 

I did cry a little.  Not because I can't believe they've grown so much or that they're entering a world where  I can't control everything they're going to see or learn, but because WE MADE IT!

When they were born I was so overwhelmed.  They didn't gain any weight the first two weeks and my parents and in-laws can tell you that it was a very intense time.  But we made it to kindergarten and they have not only survived, but thrived and are healthy, bright, and adorable!!!



Yesterday was a meet the teacher day.  We went into the classroom and did a little orientation.  Anna sat down in that chair and looked at books for 45 minutes straight.  The boys played with the bin of Legos. 



Today after we dropped off the boys Anna and I went to Target, Barnes & Noble, came home and had a snack, sorted and started the laundry, and went through her bin of clothes to see what she already has for winter, which is not much.  I couldn't believe we did all that in three hours.  

It was so quiet.  

I know I said that the day they went off to preschool two years ago but they have been at home with me almost every day for a long time.  We did our own preschool last year, two days a week, and I taught it half the time.  That ended in April and we've been very much together since.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  

The boys are just so ready for kindergarten.  They are ready to learn, to make friends, to have new experiences, and to be away from home a little bit.  I am so grateful we moved into this house so I can send them to school and know they'll be safe and around mostly good kids and learn a lot.  The alternative was home school and after today I am so thankful we're not doing that this year. It would not have been the best thing for any of us. 

I am a quiet person.  Most of the time.  I enjoy doing research in beautiful, quiet libraries.  I enjoy visiting quiet art museums and dancing to quiet ballet music.  For the past 5 1/2 years my life has been loud!  That is the most noticible difference I find between my boys and other, non-twin, siblings.  They are constantly talking over each other.  There is a real phenomenon called Twin Escalation Syndrome meaning they just keep getting louder and louder trying to be heard and I hate it!  I have never felt like I've had anxiety before but that noise and concentration just fries my nerves.  

Today Anna and I paddled around together in blissful quiet.  I thought about practicing the piano or my singing, but I didn't want to disturb the quiet.  

I have a little list of small errands I plan on doing now that I don't have to bring the entire crew with me to grab one thing from a store.  It's great timing that  my morning sickness is improving too.  

I love the boys to death but we are just so ready for this step.  

They enjoyed school and can't wait to go back tomorrow.  It is such a blessing and I know we are going to have a great fall! 

6 comments:

Mags said...

I love your comment: "We made it!" It truly is an accomplishment to know that you have helped lead your children to this point and then off they go! Congrats! You were speaking my quiet language in this post:) I am excited for a little more of that around here...only 2 more weeks, but who's counting? Love you and miss you all!!!

JoMamma said...

I can't believe how fast the past five years have gone by. I am glad you have such a great attitude about them growing up and being apart from you. You are an amazing mom and because of that they will succeed wherever life takes them. For now enjoy the quiet.

Becks said...

What an exciting day for everybody! I loved your description and appreciated the feelings. The first day of school is a beautiful thing! I am so glad to hear you are starting to feel better. :)

Emma Jo said...

I just can't believe how old everyone is. They are all so beautiful! The freedom that comes with the school year makes it OK that our babies are gone - I am glad that you are starting to feel a little better!!

Abby said...

Your quiet sounds divine! I am NOT a quiet person and I crave quiet :) Glad the sickness is fading. There is hope! Now enjoy Target for me...I haven't been able to enjoy it for quite some time!

Heidi said...

Oh, the twin escalation syndrome. Yes, I feel your pain. I do not believe they ever grow out of it. I'll let you know as soon I as see signs of it improving.

So glad you're feeling better, too!