
I think I am in danger of becoming a northern California granola-girl. Don't get me wrong, I still lather and shave daily - or whenever I get to take a shower- but there's something so nice about not putting on makeup or doing my hair and just getting out the door into the sun. How did I come to this realization? I took the boys fruit picking on Friday.
I actually showered, but let my hair go curly (read frizzy) and the only thing I put on my face was sun block. We packed some peanut butter sandwiches and lots of bottled water (it is already in the 90's here) and drove 30 minutes out to a fruit farm.

I knew it was going to be great when we passed a rooster on our way in. We said hello to the girl at the cash register (her name was Gloria. Michael said, "A song!" meaning "Angels We Have Heard on High." This kid is a serious music nut.) and went off to pick some cherries. The boys were in heaven because they could reach them and they quickly filled their 1 pint baskets with the brightest red, unripe, tart cherries. They were all at eye level and they got a kick out of being able to do it themselves. They've been telling everyone about it all weekend. "I pick cherries on the farm!" Michael even got Josh to eat some - they're not his favorite - by saying, "I pick cherries on the farm, Daddy. It's yummy! You eat it!"

Last time we went fruit picking was in August, I think. We picked raspberries and I spent the whole time chasing them. This time they stayed with me and I had to coax them from place to place. Michael didn't want to leave the cherry trees. When I wanted to change to strawberries, he did run off . . . back the the cherry trees! I had him taste a juicy strawberry, and then he understood why I was picking those too and stood near me eating them out of my box as I picked them. Sam, ever social, walked over to the other moms and kids and struck up a conversation. "That's my mom over there and that's Mach-ow (Michael)."

The owner of this small pick-your-own farm waved to the boys as he rode by on his tractor. Sam couldn't get over it. "Mommy! The farmer waved to Sammy!" He later said, "I want to stay this forever." So we're going back for peaches next week!

(Don't eat the pit!)
At home, I put the boys down for naps and watched the movie "Emma" on the laptop while I made freezer jam and a strawberry pie. I decided to brush the crust with melted Her*shey Kisses before filling it. It was awesome!
We've been pigging out on cherries, watermelon, and strawberries. As I picked the fruit in the bright sun with the boys running around having the time of their lives, I thought how happy I was. If I am too lazy to plant a garden, at least I can have the experience of picking the fruit and preparing it at home.

When I was childless and miserable at my job in Virginia I day dreamed about living on an acre or two in a white frame farm house with red gingham curtains and french doors opening to a huge backyard with a huge garden and kids running all over the yard and practicing the piano - inside. I would be gardening, cooking, and sewing, all uninterrupted while the kids played for hours on end, of course! So while I'm not ready for Birken*stocks, and I don't know if I could really give up mascara for good, I have to admit that days like this are so fulfilling.
I guess we all have a desire to till the earth, or at least to eat its delicious, sun-ripened fruit!
13 comments:
Okay, I'm totally jealous that you live near the fruit basket of America! I totally miss that. We would get lemons off our neighbor's lemon tree and go home and make lemonade during our CA stint. Enjoy!
Sooo fun!!!! And the make up thing....join the club, ha. :) It really does feel good, huh?!
What a heavenly experience. Those kinds of things are so blissful and are the times that make every last yucky thing about our lives seems wonderful and worth it. By the way, it's people as beautiful as you going natural that inspires the rest of us to try to, only we shouldn't. Just keep shaving those armpits and the rest will be gorgeous!!
That is so cool. I need to see if there are any farms like that here. I love that your boys enjoyed it so much.
that sounds lovely! what a perfect day, i would go back too! forget the make up, but don't get the birk's! they are the worst!
Oh, I say embrace the granola! I have slowly shed my "Parkway West blue eye shadow & big hair" over the years and embraced my flip-flop wearin', no make-up, short hair, chubby self! And I love it! Thank you for sharing your happy day! I love those sweet, happy days with my kids...and I love that you thought to line the pie with Hershey kisses. I know where we're going on vacation next!
Hey Kristina! I just found your blog through Becky's blog - you guys look like you are doing great and the boys are getting so big! We miss you guys!
sounds so fun!!! Your boys are too cute - love the pics! And I am all for no make-up, too - wouldn't that be the best?!
i would love to live in that daydream too! isn't it nice when you get pieces of it...gets ya through the tough days! what a totally fun day! can you send me a piece of that pie... you can never go wrong adding chocolate to anything!
Oh, I loved reading about your day picking all that delicious fruit. I love it that you were able to really savor the whole experience. Your boys are so precious, and you have such a way of showing their personalities in your blog. It makes me feel like I'm there with you!
Kristina, I just love the way you write! It sounds like y'all had the perfect day. Your boys are so smart, I love the things they think and say (like making the connection with "Gloria," and loving that the farmer waved). I'm glad you had such a good time...good call on the Hershey kisses too!
Last summer we picked strawberries to make jam. I had Baby Kristina in the back pack and the two girls were at my feet bending over trying to find the BEST ones. It was tiring but so fun and a tender moment-just like you so beautifully describe. Those are the best moments! As for the birkenstocks-just don't wear them with socks. That would be a little too Northwest for your area. We miss you and can't wait to see you!!!
While I was picking strawberries today with Oscar he said, "Mom, for Christmas I want my own farm." I guess it is not enough for him to be able to go pick berries at someone else's farm! He wants his OWN!
Post a Comment