Soccer Practice

Soccer Practice

Monday, February 15, 2010

The Mother of All Rooms

I've been nesting. I guess there's no other word for it. It doesn't seem to involve any cleaning, however, just decorating. So, here are my latest babies, the two newly decorated childrens' rooms. It's a long way from sharing our room with the twins when we brought them home to our one-bedroom apartment in Virginia three years ago.

Here's the boys' room with their finished quilts! They've been in their big boy beds for about a month and they love it. After sleeping in there since September, Michael has finally started calling it his room. His old room is now officially "Anna's room." We are so glad he doesn't miss his crib or room or wonder why it's now pink. It will make things a lot easier when she comes.
Just about a month ago Sam told someone that his daddy painted his room blue - in August. He absolutely loves it. There's a picture of two docked sailboats by his bed that he helped pick out.I already wrote about the quilts here. Let me just say that I started making them last April and I don't think I'll ever make any others. Sam's already has a seam that's come undone. But, they are beautiful and bring me a lot of satisfaction every time I see them. The boys like snuggling up under them too which is very sweet. I made the valance years ago for our "study" in our Bloomington, Indiana townhouse

We've had these frames since we got married but they were light yellow. I painted them red and covered the yellow matting with some blue card stock. The three of us went to the bookstore to buy a sailing magazine, then picked these two pictures to frame.
Then there's Anna's room. It brings to mind Steel Magnolia's line, "Pink is my signature color. My colors are Blush and Bashful. I have chosen two shades of pink, one is much deeper than the other."

I ordered the bedding from Ta*rget and made the valances out of two curtain panels, cut down the center then sewed together length-wise. I had to line them in broadcloth first because they were as flimsy and thin as worn sheets, but I did it all in one day and hung them up with great love and pride!

The room will be very dusty by the time she's born. I don't know why I have set up already since I'll have to wash it all again just before she comes, but it's fun to go in there and look at it and imagine the sleepless nights I'll be spending in it soon and of course the sweet baby who will make it her own.
I like that the pattern has blue in it so I can use some of the boys' things. The recliner and some of the things on the wall are blue but they fit right in. I didn't have a good place to nurse the boys an am looking forward to doing it in relative comfort. The changing pad and hamper are both pink and I think if everything were pink it would "look like the whole place has been hosed down with Pepto Bismal." A little pink goes a long way.
So now I hardly know what to do with myself. I am going to put away the sewing machine and try to get out of the house more to let the boys enjoy the (pardon me if you don't live in California) nice spring weather outside. It's going to be 70 degrees this week and the trees are blossoming. Don't worry, I'll be envying you in May when it's already too hot to play outside here in the afternoons.

9 comments:

Brooke said...

Awesome! It looks like a lot of hard work bit it really looks great! I totally forgot about that La-Z-boy! Ha!

Kristy Rolph said...

Soooo cute Kristina!!! I love that bedding you got. I love light blue and pink colors together for girls, I think it is so precious!! I cannot wait to meet little anna, she is going to be so sweet!! It's coming soon!!

Emma Jo said...

Beautiful!! I need you to come do my house...I will even let you put your pregos feet up and rest while you just direct. The rooms look so nice and well put together. Very impressive! I love the Steel Magnolia's quotes...we like to use "don't talk about me like I'm not here..." And for some reason I am hoping and wishing for you that even if you have a fussy baby it will feel like a piece of cake because there will be just one! You did it the right way, twins first, then hopefully everything after that feels easier!

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, you are totally hired. I'm with Emily...I'll put you in a fabulous chair where you can rest and I'll wheel you around the house and you just tell me what to do...those rooms are SO cute! I wish I had a even one creative bone...just one. Is that asking too much?

Mary said...

Darling! I've been nesting too lately and I'm only 22 weeks! Mine is involving cleaning as well though, decorating I seem to always be doing, haha. So excited for you guys!!

JoMamma said...

These rooms both look like they are pictures out of a magazine. You did an awesome job.

Abby said...

I am feeling so satisfied for you! (Somehow it helped my pwn nesting urges to see you be so productive!) You are my hero for those beautiful quilts, and both rooms are all around adorable! Well done!

Juliet said...

The rooms are adorable. Nice work.

Katrina said...

Wow, I am so impressed! Great job, both rooms look so great. And I love the way you made those sailing wall hangings, very creative (and cute)!